Penrhyn New Hall Bowling Club
The Hall itself came into existence in 1934, when Fred Lowry and Mrs Agnes Lowry, built it as an art studio for their daughter Doris. Both Mrs Lowry and Doris were prominent local artists exhibiting regularly at the prestigious Royal Cambrian Academy.
Local residents asked if they would provide a bowling green and tennis courts as part of the complex, they agreed, provided the members looked after and paid for the upkeep of the facility. The Annual General Meeting of 1961 is recorded as being the twenty-sixth which suggests that the bowling club was formed by 1935.
Mrs Lowry was the club president for a great many years and donated a cup that is still played for today; her granddaughter, Mrs Ann Stanhope is a trustee of the charity formed to preserve the future of the hall.
In May, 1959 the chairman, Mr T. C. Dickie, M.B.E. reported to the committee that a letter had been received from the owners offering to include the bungalow adjacent to the green as a Bowls House for a ‘comprehensive’ rent for the green and clubhouse. There is no further reference to the move but it seems to have been around that time.
Throughout its life, Penrhyn New Hall has been a focal point for local residents to enjoy the facility it provides. Over the years, an active programme of events and user groups formed around the hall, these ranged from art classes, music, plays, tea dances, literary and a vegetarian society, a bridge club, as well as bowling and tennis clubs. It has adapted to the changing trends of the years, whilst maintaining its uniqueness and charm.
The 'Bowls House' remains the hub of our sporting activities but the Hall is the centre of the Club's social activities and hosts many events such as whist drives, hot pot lunches, parties and prize-giving days. The tranquil setting is perfect for players and spectators alike to enjoy a leisurely break.
If anyone out there has any further information to help compile a story of the evolution of the club please let us know.
In the meantime, hands up anybody who remembers this: